So for the trip there, the roads are very good with the route I took, though it is only two lane, there is very little traffic. Just enough to feel you would be ok if you had any problems but not so much you have to bother with slowing down or passing. Which I love! I could not get cell phone service for a couple of hours between Pie Town and Magadelena, so be aware if you are traveling alone or at night. The Sonic in Socorro has great food and super fast service. I stayed at the Best Western there on one trip, though not this one, and it was clean and the folks at the desk were friendly and helpful, it is also pet friendly, which is mostly what I am looking for since Skeeter (my dog) travels with me. The fee there was only $15 I think, if I remember correctly. Well back to this last trip. I stayed at the Super 8 in Show Low, AZ on the way up. Nice and clean and is surrounded by pines, very near the center of the town but with a mountain feel. The drive between Springerville and Show Low is BEAUTIFUL! For that matter the whole drive is pretty. From Springerville on, beautiful. Stopped in Pie Town, NM and had some blackberry pie. Good but once every 10 years will hold me. It is a little expensive but worth the experience. The VLA (Very Large Array) outside Magdalena is something to see. They have a visitor center, I didn't take the time to stop, I only stopped to take a couple of photos. Beautiful area.
I didn't spend the night when returning home and stopped to view and take a few pictures of the Mogollon Rim near Payson. Beautiful scenery there.
There is a visitor station here and restrooms, however when I went through they were closed due to the Government shut down.
This was an awesome trip and I look forward to returning soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment